Just a 3-hour flight from Sydney and Melbourne, Queenstown is the perfect layby holiday if you’re seeking snow, wild adventures, stunning scenery, beautiful food, and wine!
Strap yourself in for LayAway’s top 10 things to do …
1. Learn to Ski or Snowboard on wide, open slopes ideal for beginners. Get lessons at the best Snow sports Schools with some of the worlds’ best ski instructors at resorts such as Mt Hutt, Treble Cone and The Remarkables.
2. Get your adrenaline racing on the World’s Biggest Swing! The Nevis Swing dangles at 160m above the valley floor, where you’ll accelerate at 125kph through a 300m arc.
3. Jump, spin, twist and flip on the 400 Metre Ledge Bungy. There’s even a Jump Menu to choose from, The Classic, Matrix, Flying Squirrel or Front Flip!
4. Experience the incredible scenery on the Queenstown Gondola. Sit back and enjoy breathtaking views of the mountains, town and Lake Wakatipu as you head up to Bobs Peak where you’ll find a café and restaurant.
5. Get ready for the Hydro Attack, a submersible watercraft with a supercharged engine which goes from 0 to 80km in 3.9 seconds, if that’s not enough this beast dives 5 feet under water and leaps up to 18ft out of the water. This is a rollercoaster ride like no other!
6. If you’d rather experience under water life in a calmer way, visit the Underwater Observatory, the best value attraction in Queenstown! See massive trout, giant eels and diving ducks in their natural environment, Lake Wakatipu.
7. Queenstown is famous for its beautiful wineries and one of the best ways to enjoy them is by bike! Go on a self-guided tour for half a day and ride the Gibbston River Trail, stopping off at the 8 wineries along the way!
8. All of these activities making you hungry? Queenstown offers some of the best restaurants and bars in New Zealand. You must try a Fergburger, this famous hamburger joint serves up The Tropical Swine, The Cockadoodle Oink and many more! Stop off at the London Underground Pizza Bar to enjoy some Queenstown nightlife!
9. Zipline through the treetops on a series of flying foxes and take in spectacular views of Queenstown. Choose from family friendly options to the new adrenaline pumping 6 Line Tour starting at Bobs Peak all the way down the hill!
10. Safari through breathtaking world heritage areas by boat. Combining scenery with river jet boating and Maori heritage, Dart River offers many different tours and adventures.
Queenstown is an ideal layby holiday for Winter and Summer and offers quick getaways or longer holidays for both families and couples.